A good friend of mine sent me a gift to feed my bento obsession and though I’m not sure it’s a good idea to encourage me, I’m glad he did =D.
Introducing, the one, the only, Ninjabread meeeeeeeennnnnnnnnn!
The packaging comes with a recipe for classic ginger ninjabread men so courtesy of my mate Martin here’s the recipe.
These should be great about now, since it’s turned cold, wet and miserable outside again in “great” Britain.
One of these and a mug of warm milk, coco, coffee, tea or even something stronger wouldn’t go a miss when you get home cold and wet.
(This recipe is untested by me so I can’t vouch for it personally though it seems about right, let me know on the taste factor!)
Classic Ginger Ninja bread Men
350g plain flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g butter or margarine
175g soft light brown sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas Mark 5, grease 3-4 baking trays or line with baking parchment.
2. Sift the flour, ginger and baking soda into a bowl, rub in the butter with your fingertips.
3. Add the sugar, then stir in the syrup and egg. This should make a firm dough.
4. Roll out onto a floured surface to about 5mm thick and cut out your ninjabread men.
5. Place your ninja clan onto the baking trays. Space them out as they will expand.
6. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. (I recommend turning them half way through the cooking time) Once cooked, leave to firm up for about 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool.
7. Once cooled, accessorise your ninjas with anything from coloured icing to chocolate or sweets.
To give your ninjabread extra kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a couple of finely chopped balls of stem ginger to the mix!
Of course you can make your with regular gingerbread man cutters or even just regular cookie cutters though be aware of the sizes and reduce your cooking time accordingly.